Thursday, January 19, 2012

Frans Restaurant RETRO Rice Pudding

I finally made Frans Restaurants Rice Pudding from the recipe that CLR sent me that was in the Toronto Star when I wore bell bottom hipster pants to the EX listening to Feelin' Groovy on my transistor radio.

FUNdamentals: 7 cups of homo milk (I used 1% cause, well - ya know! fatty), 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup long grain converted rice (I used ORZO rice cause it sounds sexier -rotfl), 1/2 cup of raisins (I like the darkened ones), 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.

How Ya Do It: In a large saucepan combine 6 cups milk, sugar and rice. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmmer, covered for 30 minutes. Remove cover and simmer 30 minutes longer OR UNTIL RICE IS TENDER (not mushy). The milk will not be totally absorbed. Stir in raisons (I added the raisons while it was simmering without the cover). Set aside!

In a bowl beat 1 cup of milk, eggs and vanilla until blended and then blend this mixture in with the rice mixture.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled or up to two days.

Topping: NOW, if you want to make it true RETRO Frans style you mix 1/4 cup of vanilla instant pudding mix with 1 cup of milk and place in fridge until thickened (over 5 minutes). Spoon rice mixture into bowls (this makes 8) and then spoon pudding over top. Mix some cinnamon with sugar and sprinkle over top - VERY RICH!

Shown below in my early 70's Indiana Glass Blue Harvest Cream and Sugar set with matching tray. The Harvest pattern has embossed grapes and leaves and looks great in my Tuscan (cause its yellow, white and blue) Kitchen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My Grandma always made frans rice pudding! I'm so happy to have found the recipe!