Thursday, August 14, 2008

TO A WONDERFUL COUPLE





Ya know I do not remember when I met NAN-SEA AND LIND-SEA - but what I do remember is that having just arrived in W.Dot (ok, its Whitehorse - but its kewl to call it W.Dot) it was such a blessing for me to enter into this most cozy of log c abins at 905.4 mile Alaska Hwy. Really and truly you just had to be there. In the loft Nan-SEA created the most fantastic sewing creations with excellence. I remember the skydiving outfit for T.Booth (hi to you in W.Dot) - Can you believe that she made a sky diving outfit - I think also there were winter coats with the outer wet shell and the beautiful wool inner coat - I remember the year of the Faro Craft Fair - Nan-SEA and Marianne sewed their hearts out (1970s) making the most amazing jean skirts, vests. etc. I made a quilt, and the most amazing plant hangers if i do say so and Shel took hours at THE WOOD END WHEELERS (Greg L you were there for that - mmmmmmm I am hearing DOWN ON MAINSTREET) making hand made candles. OK Nance you have to guess who the band was in the auditorium that night - giggle - Anyway, back to the SEA′s. This cabin at 905.4 mile was so cozzzzzzzzzzzy The loft was a creative sewing area and bedroom (also creative - LOL) and there was a kitchen in the front (not sure if that is L.C. with the goggles there - too humourous) and in the back was a cozy living room and off the side of the living room was the most amazing greenhouse - Yes folks a greenhouse. It inspired me to add one to the - OK get ready for this from someone from T.Dot (Darling I love u but give me Park Avenue) house on Alexander (sunken living room with white shag carpet, fireplace lol) - Ok, enough already about me, I could go on forever about all the good times we had up in W.Dot. The next pics are a tribute to a wonderful couple. Lind-SEA passed on but Nan-SEA keeps goin on. I will always as those who knew him remember him as someone who LOVED his Nan, had a wonderful glint in his eye, wonderful sense of humour and a true craftsman.

1 comment:

nansea said...

I don’t remember what year, but do remember the first time we met you and Shelly. It was in the bar in Cassiar, BC. The buzz was, that there were 2 new ‘hot city’ women in town, and all the guys were after their affections. The bar was FULL of people who just got off from their shift from the Asbestos mine. I worked in the lab, and Lindsey worked in the ‘Driers‘. Dirty, dusty, nasty place, but the humour and camaraderie of the workers there made it more bearable. Such stories and a wealth of history still echoes in that valley. Cassiar was like a melting pot for people from all over the world. Those who didn’t like the north, didn’t last long there. There was much more going on in that beautiful country than spending all of your time in a bunkhouse! Thus the magic of Quartz Creek, where you could get away from the mine and visit the special people who lived there.

And sky diving! I have one pic of that, but it’s not the clearest. Dear Tom wanted a suit made. He was built like a diamond...48-42-47 with a 22in neck. Big fella. As an extra bonus, I sewed on the words 'Slap ‘n Tickle’ on the butt of his suit...heheh. He didn’t have any money to pay me at that time, so he asked if I would like a free jump out of an airplane as a trade. After 4 hours of instruction, that’s exactly what I did. What an experience that was!

That pic of Lindsey was taken here where I now live on the Gaspé coast of Québec. He was making potatoe pancakes. He usually put 2 wooden matches in his mouth to help keep the fumes of the onions from his eyes while he was grating them, and then he came up with the brilliant idea of wearing goggles. A good giggle for sure. That photo always makes me smile:)