Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THE SPELL OF THE YUKON

I think that in my travels there is one place that really put an impression on me and that was the Yukon. I found a site a couple of weeks ago - www.urbanyukon.com and it has a stack of peoples blogs from the Yukon - My fav blog is GONE TO THE DOGS at Haines Junction - This is a family with 37 mush dogs, a cat, and twin girls - Heather is a great blogger much like my friend CLR who posts some of the most amazing pics of the north. I finally got the nerve up to post in comments to GONE TO THE DOGS and pointed out that I lived up in Whitehorse in the 70's and that the house I lived in (mind you there were a few in such a short time of me being up north - Carcross cutoff with Matt - Wheeler Street with Greg and Shelley, the bunkhouse basement with Greg who lived up upstairs and then the house beside that which is now Duffy's Pets) - Anyway, Gone to the Dogs was happy to hear from me in that Duffys Pets is also a Mushers store and they go there. I have to wonder if they tore down walls or not - and if my bedroom is a sewing room (the room just off the sunken living room) - I loved that house - It had a sunken livingroom with white shag carpet and standing fireplace and many a day was spent there particularly during the ICE FOG WINTER with friends drinking coffee with a splash of GRAND MARNIER - We would call those days GRAND MARNIER DAYS - Mr. Poole and a few others helped me build a greenhouse at the back of the house one day. Lots of good times happened in the 70's at the now Duffy's Pets. One thing that I will always remember is Angus starting up his van very early in the winter and making Espresso on the stove (what a mess), and tomatoe soup with an egg in it and his most wonderful ham sauce. I had many a dinner party in that house. Now who will go inside and take a few digitals for me to see what it looks like?

1 comment:

Heather, aka: Mum said...

WOW!! You are SOOOOOO sweet!!! There are a ton of great Yukon blogs! You should check out Stacie's "Yukon Yahoos" at http://keeponsledding.blogspot.com
She has her own kennel & the most beautiful log cabin in the woods!

Funny...It was a Robert Service peom that enticed me to the North..perhaps not so funny, he enticed MANY of us up here with his tails!

I'll see about getting some photos of Duffy's for you! :)

Cheers
H